Who Can Suffer From Depression?
- Young people
- Older people
- Pregnancy and early parenthood
- Multicultural people
- LGBTI – individuals whose sexual preference are not aligned with the traditional norms. People who have undergone a physical (surgical sex change have reported developing depression )
- Religious individuals
Causes for depression
Depression can be genetic or slowly develop in a person.
The main causes for depression are:
- genetic – if one or both of your parents suffered from depression, medical research has concluded that the children might developed depression as well.
- abuse – a person suffering from verbal, psychological, physical or sexual abuse can develop depression.
- break-up – after a relationship or a friendship ends, the person who is most sensitive and emotional may develop depression.
- alcohol – some scientifically documented side effects of alcohol consumption are depression, self-harm and suicide.
- drugs – similar to alcohol (alcohol is actually a legal drug) some scientifically documented side effects of illegal drug consumption are depression, self-harm and suicide.
- pharmaceutical drugs – some drugs may cause depression. If you are on medication check the document provided with your medication to see if depression is listed as a side effect.
- environmental – a person’s living conditions, city or country they live in can cause depression.
- war veterans – having been through and witnessed many unspeakable things, war veterans are at a high risk of developing depression.
- former cult members – after leaving a sect, the former sect member usually struggles to live a normal life. Depression might develop as a result.
- loss – a person might develop depression after a financial loss or after loosing a loved one.
- religious individuals – people who believe in God but don’t know him personally. Find out more about this.
- atheists – people who don’t believe in God usually believe and science. However, science does not provide answers to important questions such as: “If there really was a big bang that started life, who made the bang? Who created me and why? Where do I go after I die? I have everything I need (health, food, shelter, money) but why don’t I feel happy inside? Uncertainty and not having answers for all or some of the above mentioned question, can lead atheists into depression.